Catherine Huckerby has a passion for colour, having worked extensively in the industry, both in design and interior styling for over 25 years. Originally based in the UK, Catherine has spent time working in Europe, Australia and now lives in beautiful New Zealand.
Running her own successful Interior Design practice, Blanc Design, Catherine works with a diverse range of clients and spaces.
Her styling work has taken her on interesting trips around the world working with some of the world’s best photographers. She has styled for TV programs and designed sets for James Bond films, Dulux, Living Etc. Magazine, and New Zealand Homes & Gardens enabling her to understand how colour works over many industries.
As a part time university lecturer. Catherine has become aware that colour is often a subject that’s challenging for some graduates and interior designers. This course throws out the colour myths and gives designers the skills to be able to work with colour confidently, creatively and passionately.
Over the course, you will learn the following skills enabling you to confidently specify colours for your clients:
• Colour theory and how to successfully use the colour wheel to create unusual and dynamic colour combinations.
• Throw out the rulebook on colour and pattern myths.
• Intense colour versus cool colours, and how to use them.
• Participate in practical group exercises using the colour wheel to create different colour combinations.
• Group presentation and class discussion.
• Discussion on ‘Colour Vocabulary’ and how to captivate your client through colour terminology.
• ‘Colour & Light’ tricks with colour. How to unitise light and colour to change the scale, proportion and atmosphere of a space.
• ‘Scale and proportion,’ learn clever tricks with colour.
• What are neutrals and how to work with them. Understand how to see the pigment and tonal value of neutrals.
• Texture: How to use texture to enhance a neutral colour palette.
• Understand how to mix patterns successfully in a room scheme.
• Participate in a practical group exercise using different materials provided; create a successful room scheme, based on the style of home in the brief provided.
• Finish the day with a class presentation and critique.
You will leave this course with a new confidence and knowledge in colour that will help you present more exciting options for your client projects. Knowledge is power.