Colour Confidence Courses
for Interior Designers
Upcoming courses to be held atArchant
Shop 11/ 115 St Georges Bay Road,
Parnell, Auckland 1052
(off The Strand, Parnell)
Cost: $295.00 per course (exclusive of GST)
(receive 10% discount on each course when booking 2 courses together)
Please email your confirmation ASAP as spaces are limited.
Any booked recommendations receive a special colour gift.
Topic 1: Everything about colour
One day course: Saturday 9th March 2019
10am – 4pm
• Refresh on colour theory using the colour wheel
• Putting together dynamic and harmonious colour combinations
• Understanding neutrals and how to work with them
• How to be adventurous with colour
• Working with scale and proportion
• 2019 Colour trends
• Practical exercises using colour and fabrics and textures
Topic 2: Working with design styles and confident client communication
One day course: Saturday 6th April 2019
10am – 4pm
How to implement different design styles, including:
• How to mix styles - Collected, Eclectic, Juxtaposition
• Masculine Linear Contemporary
• Rural Rustic
• NZ Heritage
• Mid- Century
• Art Deco
• Luxury style
Communication: Confident communication with architects and clients
• 5 steps to confident communication with clients
• Understanding designer terminology and vocabulary
• Breaking the rules on colour myths and comfort zones
• Practical exercises on presentation skills based on design styles
Topic 3: Exterior Specification and adventurous exterior colour palettes
One day course: Date TBC
10am – 4pm
• Villa and bungalow, art deco, modern homes, architectural details and components for exterior specification
• Technical paint and timber stain specification
• Contemporary exterior finishes specification
• New materials for exterior, including new panels and modern weatherboard panels, deck specification, concrete and cedar specification, front door specification
• Inspiring colour palettes for the exterior
• Exterior colour palettes for specific geographic areas
• Practical exercises putting together exterior colour palettes using paint, timber stains and window joinery colours based on different house styles
Testimonial from Juliet, Interior Designer
I thoroughly enjoyed the course on Colour taught by Catherine. I thought I was fairly savvy with colours but this taught me alot!
The course was an eye opener when it came to all things colour-wise, texture and pattern combinations, bold and bright, neutrals etc. A full day of so much learning and fun.
It has already helped me with projects I am working on at the moment and will do so in future. Catherine’s expertise on the subject is very useful indeed and she has a wealth of knowledge.
I found it a very beneficial course to attend and would highly recommend to anyone in the industry to do it, you will no doubt come away having learnt something new.
Do you tend to stick to safe neutral colour combinations?
Do you want to be more adventurous with colour but don’t know how?
Do you struggle to identify colour pigments in neutral colours?
Do you battle to use colour effectively to enhance the scale proportion and atmosphere of a space?
Do you steer clear of mixing pattern and contrasting colour palettes in fear of upsetting the client?
Do old colour myths hold you back?
Catherine Huckerby has a passion for colour, having worked extensively in the industry, both in design and interior styling for over 25 years. Originally based in the UK, Catherine has spent time working in Europe, Australia and now lives in beautiful New Zealand.
Running her own successful Interior Design practice, Blanc Design, Catherine works with a diverse range of clients and spaces.
Her styling work has taken her on interesting trips around the world working with some of the world’s best photographers. She has styled for TV programs and designed sets for James Bond films, Dulux, Living Etc. Magazine, and New Zealand Homes & Gardens enabling her to understand how colour works over many industries.
As a part time university lecturer. Catherine has become aware that colour is often a subject that’s challenging for some graduates and interior designers. This course throws out the colour myths and gives designers the skills to be able to work with colour confidently, creatively and passionately.
Over the course, you will learn the following skills enabling you to confidently specify colours for your clients:
• Colour theory and how to successfully use the colour wheel to create unusual and dynamic colour combinations.
• Throw out the rulebook on colour and pattern myths.
• Intense colour versus cool colours, and how to use them.
• Participate in practical group exercises using the colour wheel to create different colour combinations.
• Group presentation and class discussion.
• Discussion on ‘Colour Vocabulary’ and how to captivate your client through colour terminology.
• ‘Colour & Light’ tricks with colour. How to unitise light and colour to change the scale, proportion and atmosphere of a space.
• ‘Scale and proportion,’ learn clever tricks with colour.
• What are neutrals and how to work with them. Understand how to see the pigment and tonal value of neutrals.
• Texture: How to use texture to enhance a neutral colour palette.
• Understand how to mix patterns successfully in a room scheme.
• Participate in a practical group exercise using different materials provided; create a successful room scheme, based on the style of home in the brief provided.
• Finish the day with a class presentation and critique.
You will leave this course with a new confidence and knowledge in colour that will help you present more exciting options for your client projects. Knowledge is power.